The History of Wymondham
Wymondham is an ancient Market town on the banks of the River Tiffey set within the southern reaches of Norfolk in Eastern England, and is home to just over twelve thousand people. From the earliest settlers in Saxon times the village has continued to grow, with weaving and wood turning playing their part. The 17th Century Market Cross stands on the site of an earlier one that was destroyed by a raging fire that hit the town, and the Market charter that was first granted by King John in the 13th Century still continues today with colourful weekly markets .
There are a profusion of historic houses, and black and white timber framed buildings dating across the years from Damgate Street with its houses dating back to the 1400's, a picture perfect 15th Century Inn , to an impressive 12th Century Abbey which has two towers gracing the skyline and was once home to Benedictine Monks until the Reformation. There is a wonderful range of shops in historic buildings lining the narrow Medieval streets, pubs , restaurants and tea rooms to chose from, and even an Historic Railway Station which has a museum, shop and themed restaurant. It's surrounded by attractive countryside and as it's only nine miles or so from the cathedral city of Norwich it's perfectly placed.
If you like this, Share it
On this day: