Attraction in Brodick
The site of this ancient seat of the Dukes of Hamilton was a fortress even in Viking times. The 13th Century fortified tower was developed in the 16th Century and extended by Cromwell in the 17th Century.
The foundation stone for the main Victorian extension was laid in 1844 by Princess Marie of Baden, wife of the 11th Duke of Hamilton. Her granddaughter, Lady Mary Louise, 6th Duchess of Montrose lived in the castle until 1957.
Some furniture dates from the 17th Century with superb paintings, porcelain and silver collected by the Hamiltons and by William Beckford, whose daughter was married to the 10th Duke of Hamilton.
Famous 80 acre woodland garden.
Tourist Info Number: 0871 572 0610
Months Open: Apr - Oct
Groups/Parties Welcome: Yes
Discount for Groups: Yes
Coach Parking: Yes
Car Parking: Yes
Contact Name for Groups: Sue Tozer
Admission Price: £7
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 5,743 occasions since Oct 16th 2005