Attraction in Banchory
The keep is one of the three oldest tower houses surviving in Scotland. It was the work of Richard Cementarius, first provost of Aberdeen and King's Master Mason, in the late 13th century. The High Hall of the tower is still in its medieval state. It is accessed by a narrow newel stair, and offers fine views from the battlements. The original house was enlarged with the creation of a very fine Jacobean mansion house in 1619 and a later addition during the reign of Queen Victoria.
William de Irwyn, faithful armour bearer, was given the charter of the Royal Forest of Drum by King Robert the Bruce in 1323. The same family remained owners of Drum for the following 653 years. Irvine memorabilia is shown in the Family Room and the house contains an excellent collection of portraits and good Georgian furniture. It is a welcoming house with the feeling of a family home, enhanced by the recent creation of the Day and Night Nurseries. The grounds contain the 40 ha (100 a) Old Wood of Drum - a natural oakwood - coniferous plantations, deciduous woodland and arboretum. Within the old walled garden is the fine collection of Historic Roses.
Nearest UK Airport: Aberdeen
Months Open: Castle and Garden: 21 Apr - 30 Sep; Grounds: all year
Car Parking: Yes
Admission Price: £6 (combined ticket)
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 4,510 occasions since Oct 16th 2005
On this day: